Monday, August 11, 2014

Okay...so there is a lot to this story.  It was traumatic for me, and for my family.  And it is still going on, and will be for probably a while.  But before I start, I want to say that the Lord is faithful.  Nothing that happened when Landon was born was a surprise to God, my recovery is not a surprise to Him, and the emotional struggle is not a surprise to Him.  He is FAITHFUL my friends.  I am more convinced of that today than I ever have been before.

So I'm making it sound worse than it is, probably.  But it was the most difficult day of my life.  And here's what happened:

I had been so looking forward to this birth.  My first two both had complications and difficulty and this one was going to be scheduled, planned, normal, everything just...easy.

So we went in on Friday August 1 at 5:30am for the scheduled c-section.  I went in, got prepped and went in for surgery.  The c-section was FAST.  I mean, Sean was just walking in the door and they were already cutting me open.  He took a quick "pre-baby" mommy and daddy picture, and we heard "Wahhhhhhh!!!!!"

Everything was perfect.  They let me hold him, he was beautiful!  (He IS beautiful :) ) They did my tubal ligation (which we had planned for while) and stitched me up.  Then they took me to recovery where everything went perfectly!  We saw our families, Levi and Lucy met the baby and did WONDERFULLY with him.  They were SO in love with him :)  It was just as I imagined it would have been.  And around lunch time, everyone went home and left us there to take a nap.

Very soon after, I started feeling VERY hot and a little bit like I might faint.  It got worse and worse until I finally had Sean go and get a nurse to turn down the air.  He did, and my feeling didn't improve.  I was feeling like I might lose consciousness, and that's when Sean started to get concerned.  From that point on, I only vaguely remember what happened.

I was in and out of consciousness as doctors and nurses came in and out of the room, pushing on my tummy, and trying to figure out what was going on.  I could hear Sean calling out to me, trying to get me to respond, but I couldn't.  I remember them trying to get me to sign some papers, which I couldn't do, and I heard the doctor say "her belly is swelling up", "internal bleeding", "emergency surgery."

And that's when I had the thought that I might die.  I have never had that thought before, never even been close.  But I could see my husband's panicked face (which NEVER happens) and I know the words "internal bleeding" are a very serious thing.  My mom had had a miscarriage when I was little, bled into her belly, and almost died.  So that thought was there.

And then I thought "I might not see my kids again."

It may seem like I'm being dramatic.  And maybe I am.  But that thought, although it came and went quickly, very deeply affected me. It scared me, and it still scares me. I have nightmares about it. I guess post partum emotions and your first near-death experience bring out the drama in you :)

So the next thing I knew, I was waking up with a VERY sore throat from being intubated and no idea what happened.  It turns out, an internal stitch had somehow come out on my left tube, and had been bleeding into my abdomen for about 6-ish hours before I passed out.  I needed a blood transfusion.

I ended up with FOUR transfusions just to have enough blood to function.  I was in pain for a LOOOOONG time.  I'm still in pain.

Long story short, I survived.  Landon survived, and he is perfect and wonderful.  The Lord is faithful.  I am recovering more slowly than I did with my other two, but much more quickly than I expected.  And I have an amazing husband and support system that are helping me through the traumatized emotions I'm experiencing.  Friends, God has been unbelievably good to me.  Ridiculously, fabulously good to me!

Thank you to all of you who have been praying for me because you knew there were complications, and those of you who just prayed for me anyway :)  I covet your continued prayers.

So...here's what we gained from all of this:
Steven Landon Campbell
August 1, 2014 8:04am
8lbs 12oz
20 inches long

He is beautiful, perfect, wonderful, looks just like Daddy and Levi, and SO WORTH IT ALL!!!!





1 comment:

stacia mikele said...

Jenny,
Our lives are far apart, but I do love the occasional update on your blog. I am so glad to hear all is well after Mister Landon. How mighty are God is and how far you have come!
Lots of love, Stacia