Thursday, March 3, 2011

They Touched This Morning...

Okay, so quick fun fact about my Sean and me: We are no-touch sleepers. We will sometimes cuddle before we go to sleep, but there is not now, nor has there ever been any sleep touching in our marriage. After we have cuddled an adequate amount of time for one or both of us, we retreat to our edges of the bed, and sleep soundly and independently. We just like our space.

Well this morning I had a hard time sleeping. I woke up at 5:30 and just couldn't get back to sleep. I got up, checked my email, looked at some stuff online, you know. The usual stuff you do when you can't sleep. But then I finally decided that I should try and sleep in the few precious hours left before I had a screaming toddler to tend to. So I got back in bed.

And then they touched. Our heels. My Sean and I had a brief moment of sleep connection. Well, he was asleep. I was awake. And for some reason, the slight brush of his heel on mine just filled me up! I was flooded with the sheer amount of emotion I feel for him. I adore that man. He has made me a better person. In more than one way.

There is always that rubbing and chipping away at you that happens when you are learning to live with someone else. Grrrr, it can be frustrating. But it is one of the Lord's beautiful refining tools. Not to make us happy, but to make us holy.

But it isn't just that rough sandpaper-y change that Sean has enacted in me. He has taught me so much. He is genuine--all the time. He ALWAYS thinks the best of people no matter what, even when they disappoint him again and again. He knows how to be content. He is very slow to anger. He is incredibly teachable and open minded. He stands firm on his beliefs, but is willing to change how he thinks at the Lord's calling. I want to be more like him.

So...just a post to say I love him. He is perfect for me. And I'm going to try and convince him to snuggle tonight. Until it's time to sleep, of course :)

















2 comments:

Nancy said...

That is an absolutely wonderful post, Jenny.

You are a great writer... and a delight all the way around.

(I continue to pray for you and your M.S. horrors.)

Sarah Rogers said...

Awe Jenny...it always makes me feel honored that even though I haven't been there to really see you and Sean in your marriage and with Levi, that I was there from the beginning...I got to see y'all start out as friends and see your love blossom and grow into something wonderful God intended it to be. It's so crazy to think back on the times that you would gush and talk about how you had a crush on Sean and then to be able to say I was there when y'all got married is incredible to me. That's how it's been with a lot of friends I had from college...that even though I haven't kept in touch 100% of the time since we've moved on from school, it makes me feel lucky that I got to see their relationships start out. Love you girl and MISS YOU!!!