Sunday, January 16, 2011

Seesus


Weird title, right? I thought it was weird too when it was shouted at me by my worried-looking one-year-old. Now, in all fairness, I shouldn't be surprised that I have no idea what he is trying to say. Most of the time he just talks jibberish to himself. But he looked REALLY upset and kept saying "Seesus" and running away in an effort to help me see that he actually wanted me to follow him and find out for my self why "Seesus" was such an urgent matter.

So he went into the study (We are at my parents house) and grabbed a book. This book just happened to be The Jesus Storybook Bible. (If you haven't heard about this book and you have a small child, go here to check it out.)

Yes, friends. My baby, my little baby that I birthed a mere 1 year ago, was saying "Jesus," and wanting me to share in his exploration of who Jesus is. It was the single most fulfilling moment of motherhood I have yet to experience. It will probably remain the most fulfilling until the day my precious son falls at the feet of his Jesus and enters into the family of the redeemed. And he will. Even now at such a young age, his heart is stirred toward the Lover of his soul and a passion for the Word. And I have prayed for that since the moment I found out I was going to be his mommy.

But guiding him on that path is painful, can I get an amen? There is no step by step manual for raising my son to be a godly man. I can't find a book that will help me to ensure that he will fall prostrate before the wounded feet of Christ and give his life to the merciful God that I serve. But the Word seems clear that God expects me to leave deep footprints for my baby to follow. Amazon can't help me. But the precious, sacred, holy Word of God poured out on me can.

"Only be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them fade from your heart as long as you live. Teach them to your children and to their children after them." Deuteronomy 4:9

"These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. 7 Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. 8 Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads." Deuteronomy 6:6-8

"he said to them, “Take to heart all the words I have solemnly declared to you this day, so that you may command your children to obey carefully all the words of this law." Deuteronomy 32:46

Discipline your children, for in that there is hope; do not be a willing party to their death. Proverbs :19:18

Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it. Proverbs 22:6

Discipline your children, and they will give you peace; they will bring you the delights you desire. Proverbs 29:17

And there are so many more. God has given me everything that I need for a godly life (2 Peter 1:3). He did not call me to motherhood without equipping me to do so. He has chosen me to be Levi's mommy. And I can't imagine a greater, more important calling.

He will know that love is not rude. He will now that the Lord will fight for him, he will need only to be still. He will be told the depth of mercy his daddy and I have experienced. We will not forget. We will make those footprints deep.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

That is so very precious.
Mmm.