Monday, September 15, 2008

A little of this, a little of that.

Ok, so six year olds are ridiculous. And sometimes ridiculously funny. Today, one of my students was having some trouble finishing his work, and was going to have to finish at recess, much to his dismay. So he thought about it for a moment after I told him the bad news, and then he said
"Mrs. Campbell, I think I know why I can't do my work. It is because my best friend Trevor is not in my class this year, and I am VERY sad about that."
I tried not to chuckle, and assured him that he would be fine, when he interrupted me by saying "You know, it could also be because my dog died."
I felt kinda bad, and so I said "I'm sorry, honey! When did your dog die?"
And he replied, matter of factly, "When I was three." AAAAGGGHHH!

He, at least, was not asking me when and where he could buy a gun like one of my other little crazies. It is a crazy world in first grade, let me tell you. You have to hang on for dear life sometimes.

In light of that, I would like to give a shout out to my good friends on the front lines of the battle field we like to call primary school, Ashley and Meghan. Way to hang in there, girls. And keep me from going insane.

Well, the Lord sure is doing a painful, wonderful work in me in this season. I am terribly exhausted from the madhouse at work, and desperate for more time with my husband (who some times seems like my only stability). And yet God seems to be fostering in me more patience, peace, and grace in spite of it. I have found myself in situations that would normally cause a nuclear explosion of my emotions, and yet my reactions exude peace, patience and grace. This is not to say, however, that I am suddenly free from the unstable temper and emotional breakdowns that have marked me in the past. They still rise up in me, and most often at the worst time. But I am trying to "[be] confident of this, that He who began a good work in [me] will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ (Philippians 1:6)" I believe God is less concerned with my many defeats as He is with the smallest of my victories.

I am reading the book "Don't Waste Your Life" by John Piper, and it is amazing. Everyone should read it. He says that "God created us with a single passion: to joyfully display his supreme excellence in all the spheres of life. The wasted life is the life without passion. God calls us to pray and think and dream and plan and work not to be made much of, but to make much of Him in every part of our lives." It is definitely changing how I think about my life and the choices I make. It is just interesting to think about how often we do not treasure Jesus as an all-satisfying passion in our lives. I am so prone to treasuring other things instead of him, that "compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ" are worthless. Even the depth of intimacy I have the grace to share with my husband pales in comparison to the everlasting, soul-satisfying pleasure that comes through Jesus. I still can't really wrap my head around it, but I am still praying for the Lord to work it out in me.

And lastly, my new Scripture-prayer for this week is Psalm 63:3-"Because Your love is better than life my lips will praise You." This is awesome for times where life seems horrible, because it gives us hope that the love of Christ and the redemption found in Him holds something better for us. It can also bless us in the times of abundance and joy because the love of God is better than life even then! Sometimes I am overwhelmed by the depth of Scripture and what it means for us. I am going to pray continuously this week that I would be reminded of this truth so that I can hold fast to it as I blunder through this tough period of life.

Ok, I'm peacing out. Gotta do Social Studies lesson plans so my peeps at school can ignore them and focus on the billions of hours of math, reading, and science we are supposedly required to fit into one day! Lata.

2 comments:

hornfrogprincess said...

You are awesome ghetto fairy! Thanks for the shout out friend! School does seem like a battle ground with children who throw chairs and crazies trying to flee the building. :) Love ya!

PAforLife said...

I love you, babe... I gotta say tho that I'm pretty jealous that you have this awesome cool blog and I don't.... I think I have to get one, but I don't want to look like a poser, so let me know when it's not cool anymore, and I will get one then :)